Do you know who invented the talking doll? How about the electric vote-recorder? Would you be surprised to learn it was the same man who invented the phonograph and the electric incandescent light bulb? None other than Thomas Alva Edison, whose birthday was February 11, 1847. Here are some tips for celebrating his accomplishments:
1. Make a list of some of his 1100 patented inventions. What would the world be like without them?
2. Create an invention timeline beginning with Edison's inventions and ending with what we use today. For instance, wax records, cassettes, CD's...
3. Choose one of his inventions and add improvements of your own. Describe the changes you think will take place by the next century.
4. Read about Thomas Edison's life. How much formal education did he have (the answer will shock you!)? What caused him to become deaf? Why did he receive the Distinguished Service Medal? Ask other who, what, where, when, and why questions.
4. Edison is quoted as saying that "Genius is 1 percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration." What do you think that means? Do you agree with it? How did he live his life by that motto?
5. When your students are frustrated and want to give up, relate that Edison tried 10,000 unsuccessful experiments on a storage battery. Did he give up? No! He said that he had "found 10,000 ways that won't work." Just change your approach and keep trying!
6. Have your children invent something of their own and write about it from inception of the idea to the finished results. Put the inventions around the room and have class presentations.
I hope these ideas have been useful and have ignited your own creativity.
And remember...Reading is FUNdamental!!
About the Author
Freda J. Glatt, MS, retired from teaching after a 34-year career in Early-Childhood and Elementary Education. Her focus, now, is to reach out and help others reinforce reading comprehension and develop a love for reading. Visit her site at http://www.sandralreading.com. Reading is FUNdamental!
The Hidden Job Market: Real Or Imagined?
The hidden job market has been touted as the place to go if you want to find the best jobs. It’s been said that this sector of the job market accounts for seventy-five percent of all the job openings out there. If that is true, then what we see in...
Learning Management Systems
Learning Management Systems Learning Management Systems are e-systems that seek to advance employee skills in an organization through ongoing training and development. These apparatus are fast evolving as must-have tools in the e-learning...
Tips for getting your movie career launched
Hollywood helps those who help themselves! In you want to get your movie career fast tracked then here are three common sense tips to help you on your way. 1. Borrow the Boy Scout's Motto: Be Prepared. Once you start the ball rolling you...
What Constitutes a Good MT Program?
How To Choose A Good Medical Transcription Training Program Many ideas abound about what constitutes a good MT program. Some people feel that the schools that advertise on TV showing a mother working at her computer while her children play quietly...
Senior Approved Services Announces Hiring of Marketing/Sales Associates
“We received nearly 3,000 phone calls from seniors and their family caregivers in the past twelve months searching for elder care services that were Certified Senior Approved”, states Barbara Mascio, founder of Senior Approved Services. “Clearly we...